The complex of the former Convent of "Giaccherino" is one of the most evocative and representative places of the Pistoia area. Recently restored respecting its original architecture, the structure maintains a timeless charm. Sobriety and elegance that only a historical place can give.
The convent of Giaccherino is located a few kilometers from Pistoia, on a hill overlooking the entire Serravalle Pass up to Lucca and even Florence.
Because of its location - near the via Lucensis, the road that led to Lucca - was called since ancient times "the convent of Monte Lucense". The construction was commissioned by Gabriello Panciatichi, a wealthy banker who practiced usury, and who in old age, having fear of death, tried to earn a place in heaven through donations and good works. The first convent was born at the beginning of the fifteenth century, when, in a modest architectural core (consisting of a small church, two cloisters around which there were cells, a refectory, the kitchen and the infirmary) Friars Minor of the Observance that from the second half of the 14th century promoted a return to the initial rule of Francis. During the centuries the convent expanded to become one of the most important Franciscan centers in Tuscany. It was equipped with works of art by artists such as Mariotto di Nardo and Rossello di Jacopo Franchi, and even a large library was also built. The convent was chosen as a place of study for the clerics and became a regular meeting place for the Cathedral Chapters of the Province.
In the second half of the fifteenth century the major masters of Pistoia and Florence worked in a group of liturgical codes of great artistic importance. Among these there was also Benozzo Gozzoli, who died in Pistoia in 1497 perhaps during the initial stages of the construction of the Majesty, which is still in the form of sinopia in the city's Palazzo Comunale. Having always been a place of worship, retreat and study, the monastery over the centuries has hosted numerous important religious figures who held important professorships at the universities of Bologna, Pisa, Florence and Rome. Moreover, the Fathers of the convent, especially in the seventeenth century, often frequented the grand-ducal court as confessors: Father Jacopo Peri, elected confessor in 1615 of Cosimo I; Father Paolo from Virgoletta confessor of Ferdinando II starting in 1649; father Giancarlo from Cutigliano confessor of Cosimo III. Giaccherino has suffered a decline that in recent decades seemed unstoppable, but recently it has been the subject of important restorations, curated by the Superintendency, and today has returned to a new splendor. The current property intends to maintain the cultural vocation of the place, offering its internal and external spaces to reception activities and preparation of events of various kinds. The toponym Giaccherino is thought to derive from an innkeeper, named Cecchino or Cieccherino, who had to manage an inn nearby.
Following the restoration, the Convent is a perfect place for ceremonies, weddings, gala dinners and private, public and business events of any kind. The rooms for events vary in style and capacity; they can be chosen according to specific needs and based on the budget. Events can also be held in outdoor spaces such as the garden, the Cloisters or the terrace, which are particularly suitable for aperitifs or buffets. At the Convent there is an active office that manages the structure independently and collaborates with catering companies, wedding planners, and event planners.