The Convento di Giaccherino is one of the most beautiful and representative place of the territory of Pistoia and it has been made even more charming by refined and preserving restorative measures. The building is the perfect location for receptions, weddings, sumptuous banquets and private events as well as conventions, meetings, conferences, cultural and artistic events. The gorgeous event rooms are various and of different sizes. They can be chosen according to the specific needs and budget, besides, they can have as additional spaces the garden, the cloisters or the terrace with its breath-taking panorama.

To marry in the Convento di Giaccherino it is like in a fairy tale ! You can feel a magic and peaceful atmosphere which make your event really unforgettable for You and for your guests…

SERVICES

Due to its extension, to its versatility and convenience, the Convento di Giaccherino perfectly suits any type of event:

  • Panoramic Main Room for max 600 people placé : “Salone delle Feste”
  • 2 other rooms for 150 people placé: “Sala Duomo” (panoramic on the Cathedral) and “Sala Nobile”
  • St. Pierino’s Room, St. Anthony’s Room, Banquet Room, functional for trainings, press agency, meetings for up to 30 people...
  • Meetings, Conferences, Seminars, Workshops - all necessary equipment provided
  • Weddings and private parties - all complementary services provided
  • Catering
  • Parking facilities up to 300 cars
  • Private bus service
  • Accomodation
  • Organization of cooking, language, painting, Tuscan tradition courses…
  • Cultural and artistic events and art exhibitions, concerts...
  • Guided tours with art historian
  • Photo shooting, tastings, promotional campaigns...

BRIEF HISTORY

The Convento di Giaccherino is located a few kilometers from Pistoia, on a hill overlooking the whole plain from the pass of Serravalle which to Florence. Because of its location - close to the via Lucensis that led to Lucca - it was called “the convent of Mount Lucense”. The name Giaccherino is thought to derive from a host named either Cecchino or Cieccherino, who ran an inn nearby. The first plant of the structure is of the early fifteenth century. At that time it was a modest architectural structure consisting of a small church, two cloisters with cells around them, a refectory, the kitchen and the infirmary. The Order of Friars Minor of the Observance settled there. It was a movement of Franciscan reformists that from the second half of the fourteenth century promoted a return to the initial rule of Francesco, living humbly as hermits. The building was commissioned by Gabriello Panciatichi, a wealthy banker who practiced usury and that, in old age, fearing the moment of death decided to redeem himself through donations and charitable contribution. During the centuries the convent was expanded to become one of the most important Franciscan center in Tuscany. It was embellished with works of art by artists such as Mariotto di Nardo and Rossello di Jacopo Franchi and a large library was also built. The convent then was chosen as the perfect place for the clergy to study at and to have the Chapters of the Province. In the second half of the fifteenth century the greatest illuminators (among them there was also Benozzo Gozzoli) both from Pistoia and Florence worked at a group of liturgical books of remarkable interest. The convent has always been a place of worship, retreat and study. In the centuries it has hosted several theologians who taught at Universities as the ones in Bologna, Pisa, Firenze and Roma.The Franciscan Friars during the seventeenth century were also often attending the granducal court as confessors: Friar Jacopo Peri was appointed confessor of Cosimo I in 1615 and Friar Paolo da Virgoletta became confessor of Ferdinando II in 1649.
Today it is wonderful thanks to the works taken by the owners and made under the supervision of the Superintendence of Cultural and Environmental Heritage. The works were done in full respect of the building historical, cultural and artistic origin preventing it from any further damages.

THE GARDEN

The Garden extends over a wide but private and protected area of almost 1600 square meters.
It is surrounded on two sides by typical and elegant loggias and alternates between an English landscape garden and an Italian one with its typical hedges. There are also a family of Dwarf Palms and driveways. As it is always in the shade and fresh in the summer due to the numerous loggias and four enormous ceder trees which are illuminated at night, it is the perfect place for an aperitif and dinner outdoors.

THE LIBRARY

The library used to contain a wealth of books that increased over time to reach the impressive amount of 4400 volumes in the seventeenth century protected by a papal bull of Pope Paul V which ensured their conservation. The collection, further enriched over the centuries, but then donated, can now be found in the Forteguerriana Library in Pistoia.

THE MINOR CLOISTER

The lunettes of the Minor Cloister, which is dedicated to St Anthony, were decorated in the late sixteenth century by artists belonging to the circle of Giovanni da San Giovanni. Thanks to the beautiful ancient well and the simple and elegant columns, the cloister evokes a cosy and soothing atmosphere which makes it suitable for buffet meals or intimate dinners. Its innate versatility gives it both an ancient and a modern allure, hence it was once chosen as a film set.

THE MAJOR CLOISTER

Despite its troubled history, Giaccherino became a burial site of the noble families of Pistoia, eventually it was proclaimed Privileged City Cemetery. St Francis’s Cloister still preserves some gravestones which bring back memories and vestiges of many characters of the time. Among these there is the famous marble wall grave made in 1865 and dedicated to the Irish poetess Luisa Grace Bartolini, who was a refined lover of Italian language. The lunettes of the Major Cloister, which were painted by Alessio Gimignani and Francesco Leoncini in 1642-43, show events of the life of St Francis. A description is to be found in a caption painted in the form of a scroll at the base of each lunette together with a coat of arms of the noble family who commissioned it. From the Major Cloister you can access the many Franciscan Friars’ cells which are still untouched in the form and mysterious in the atmosphere.

THE MAIN RECEPTION ROOM

The Main Reception Room, located on the first floor and accessible by two lifts, was built in the nineteenth century when the convent became a Franciscan Seminary for the training of the friars. The beautiful room is 70 m long and almost 10 m wide, it once served as a dormitory and it is a single room which can seat up 550 people and can eventually be divided into 3 consecutive rooms. A small staircase leads to a comfortable and versatile lounge area. Next to the Main Room there is a large room which can be used as staff room by the catering service.
This magnificent Room, embellished with 5 sumptuous crystal chandeliers, has a refined and elegant style after being properly restored and a breath-taking view is enjoyable thanks to the 16 beautiful large windows on the side.

CATHEDRAL ROOM

It’s so called because it is spread over 2 corner sides of the Convent with 7 windows overlooking the Pistoia Cathedral. The room style is rustic and authentic, it can seat up 150 people. The ceiling is decorated with wooden beams and a unique wrought- iron chandelier. Our professional staff elegantly manage this space, which can be well used for gala dinners, buffets, meetings, company events ... but also for cultural, recreational or study events, as well as meditation or prayer meetings, art exhibitions or concerts...

THE NOBILE ROOM

The style of the Noble Room strongly resembles that of the Main Reception Room. It’s decorated with a beautiful frescoed medallion on the ceiling depicting St. Francis and enhanced by views of the convent garden. It can seat up 120 people and thanks to its private entrance and to the St. Francis’s Hall it’s an ideal place for aperitifs or welcome cocktails.

THE TERRACE

The view from the terrace is unique! From there you can enjoy the overall view of the city of Pistoia, the Mount Albano and the pleasant landscape,and, on a clear sky day you can even admire the Cathedral of Prato and the Florence Cathedral with the magnificent dome by Brunelleschi. The terrace, surrounded only by the tops of the trees, seems suspended in the air; fascinating space for an extravagant cocktail or for a lovely romantic dinner, away from the noise of the city, it gives a truly unique natural frame.

ST. FRANCIS CHURCH

The first rural church was built in the fifteenth century while the current structure dates back to the second half of the sixteenth century, when it was re-consecrated in the form of a single aisle with vaults and a presbytery divided by a marble balustrade. At the base of the stone arches that define the bays of the aisle stands the Panciatichi’s family crest. The side altars of the noble families of Cellesi and Rospigliosi, made in 1580, are respectively dedicated to the Virgin Mary and to the Crucifix. The church, which is still consecrated, was equipped with a bell tower erected in 1595 and with the new Choir with 23 stalls in carved wood, while the main altar is the result of an eighteenth-century restoration following a major fire. The presbytery leads to the sacristy, with seventeenth century carved walnut benches; here there are a marble Holy water font and the Franciscan Order’s coat of arms consisting of two crossed forearms, one standing for Christ and the other, with the sleeve of his monastic tunic, symbolizing St. Francis, which is a recurring theme in the iconography of the Convent. An internal staircase leads to the Chapel of St. Pierino, which served as a women’s gallery; from here you could attend religious services without being seen and in total isolation from the area reserved fors the common faithfuls. The Convent keeps the S. Giuseppino’s and S. Pierino’s relics.